So you want to start a new webring?|
Well, lucky for you it is extremely easy to do so.
Just read on to find out what you need to do to get started...
What do I need to start my very own webring?
Here are some basic requirements to get started:
What can my topic be about?
- A topic for your webring.
- Some basic knowledge of HTML. (You will have to make an html fragment known as the navpanel, that your members can copy and then paste onto their web pages)
- A "homepage" for your ring. You will have to set up a webring "homepage" with instructions on how to join your ring, requirements for joining, etc. If you do not already have webspace, you can get webspace with a domain name and many other features at Red Oak Tree for less than 6 dollars a month (best to avoid the 'free' web hosts).
- After your ring is set up, you will have to invite sites to join your ring, then you will approve or deny the sites according to your requirements.
- Lastly, you will need time to manage your webring - The quality of your webring will depend on how well you manage it (deleting sites that do not exist or have not placed the ring's navpanel on their site, inviting new sites to join, and so on.)
Your topic can be about anything you want! As long as there are sites on the internet about your topic, you can join them together in a webring! Your topic can be anything from "aardvarks" to "zoos". Point being, is that you can make your topic as broad or as detailed as you want.
Webrings not permitted on the Red Oak Tree - Ring System:
Your webring must not promote, link directly to, or contain any of the following content:
What options can I use to navigate my ring?
- Indecent or pornographic material
- Software pirating or any site that violates third-party intellectual property rights
- MP3 files/sites that do not have the legal right to distribute MP3 files
- Hacking/phreaking/spam or any other site invading the rights of computer users
- Any illegal activity
- Any subject matter inconsistent with policies, determined by our sole discretion
We support the following navigation links on your ring's navpanel.
You can use as few or as many as you like:
What can I customize on my ring?
- Next Site
- Previous Site
- Random Site
- Next 5 Sites
- Previous 5 Sites
- List All Sites
- Ring Homepage
- Ring Statistics
- Search Ring
One of the things that we had in mind when creating Red Oak Tree - Ring System, was to give more power to you the ringmaster. Here is what you can customize:
Okay, I am ready to start my webring!
- Your ring homepage. You can design it however you like. Since it is your webpage, you can do whatever you like with it!
- Your ring's navpanel (The HTML code fragment that your members will have on their web sites). It can be as big or small as you want, it can include images, a image map, tables, text, whatever you want!
- Your ring's logo. Your logo is shown on the list page, stats page, search page, and the previous 5 and next 5 links. It can be whatever you want.
- The colors for your ring. You can customize the colors in Ring Admin, and several other things.
- The emails sent to your members.
- The page seen after submitting a new site to your ring.
- The language used for your ring. With Red Oak Tree - Ring System you can host your ring in 9 different languages. (German, English, Spanish, French, Dutch, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, and Chinese)
Note: New Rings must be actively managed, and have at least 2 member websites within 7 days of the ring having been created. Otherwise they will be deleted.
The Ringmasters Tasklist is a very handy tool to check off what you need to do to get your new ring up and doing rings around the web!